Quick lemony lentil soup

I promised I’d share a few recipes that use the roasted vegetable stock, and the first one is one of the recipes that I planned to post as part of my write-up of the Hunger Challenge, but just never got around to organizing.

This particular recipe is incredibly simple, quick, nourishing and tasty. When I made it this time, I incorporated the juice of a fresh lemon, which makes a tremendous difference in the flavor of the dish—I won’t ever leave that out again. During the Hunger Challenge, I did not have lemons on hand, but if I do it again, I might sneak a lemon into my basket just for purposes of amping up the flavor.

In this recipe, I just use carrots and onion at the beginning of the process, but you should feel free to chop up a celery stalk or two, if you have that on hand, and sauté it right along with the other two vegetables.

This soup freezes well, and the recipe can be easily doubled.

Quick Lemony Lentil Soup
(Serves 4)

2 large carrots, diced
1 large onion, diced
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 c. lentils (any color)
4 c. roasted vegetable stock
Juice of one lemon
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the carrots and onion and sauté until the onions are golden and starting to brown. Add a healthy pinch of salt and freshly-ground pepper to the vegetables.
  2. Add the lentils and sauté for about 30 seconds. Then add the broth and the lemon juice.
  3. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the lentils are soft. Taste, and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper if necessary.
  4. At this point, you can serve the soup as is, or, if you like a smoother consistency, use a stick blender to puree the soup before serving.

This is my post for Weekend Herb Blogging, which is hosted this week by Astrid from Paulchen’s Foodblog. Be sure to stop by Astrid’s later in the weekend for the full roundup of weekend recipes!

15 Comments on “Quick lemony lentil soup”

1. #1 Chiot's Run
    on Mar 13th, 2009 at 10:41 am

Sounds fantastic. I love all things lentil. I’ll have to give this recipe a go before it gets too warm outside.

on Mar 13th, 2009 at 1:08 pm

Chiot’s Run, let me know how it turns out!

3. #3 http://madeater.blogspot.com/
    on Mar 13th, 2009 at 1:17 pm

Great choice of photo! We all know what lentil soup looks like; might as well get an arty shot of the pot.
    You have inspired me. If only my pots looked so shiny.

on Mar 13th, 2009 at 1:32 pm

Debby, thanks! A little bit of bokeh is super-helpful in the shiny pot department, by the way. Not enough focus for things to look as muddy as they actually are. ;-)

5. #5 http://bloglily.com/
    on Mar 14th, 2009 at 5:38 pm

mmm. Lovely photo. And how nice to have such a straightforward recipe. It sounds terrific.

on Mar 15th, 2009 at 8:53 pm

Lily, glad it sounds good to you! There’s more coming…

7. #7 http://foodhappens.blogspot.com/
    on Mar 18th, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Lentil soup always sounds so good. And a burst of lemon is the perfect combo… maybe with a bit of rosemary.

Now — does it matter whether you use a lentil (like red) that breaks down? or a lentil that stays more firm/whole? I always wonder about this… so many lentils, so little time!

8. #8 http://plottips.blogspot.com/
    on Mar 20th, 2009 at 5:31 pm

Looks tasty. I’ll give it a go. Thanks

9. #9 http://athinkingstomach.blogspot.com/
    on Mar 22nd, 2009 at 9:32 pm

Ah, lemons and lentils are an excellent combination. Thanks for reminding me of that.

I’ve got my fingers crossed for you to get your plot!

on Apr 1st, 2009 at 7:55 am

Foodhappens, I usually choose my lentils based on what I have on hand rather than how well they hold up to the cooking, so I can’t really give you good feedback on that. But it’s a good question, and probably worth some experimentation.

Plottips, did you try it? What did you think?

Christina, much appreciated! I’ll take all the crossed fingers I can get.

11. #11 Rebecka
    on Mar 15th, 2010 at 10:05 pm

I love your blog. I just stumbled upon it looking for a quick lentil soup recipe, actually, WHICH WAS AMAZING, and I love everything. I finished reading your Hunger Challenge posts last night, and they were deeply moving.

Keep it up!

on Mar 23rd, 2010 at 10:10 am

Rebecka, thank you so much for the sweet comment! I really appreciate it. :-)

13. #13 Charlotte Hughes
    on Aug 1st, 2010 at 11:58 am

i love all sorts of soup but my most favorite soup is none other chicken or beef soup.,;*

on Aug 1st, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Charlotte, everyone has their favorite! :-)

15. #15 Wintertime Homemade Tomato Soup – The Inadvertent Gardener
    on Dec 31st, 2011 at 3:15 am

[...] speed than usual, I love soup. Whether it’s turkey soup inspired by my Dad’s recipe, or an easy lentil number, or homemade caldo verde, it’s comforting, and a canvas for so many combinations of delicious and [...]