Eggplant Disappear-o

Like magic, overcoming the influence of the black walnut and its evil dripline, the middle eggplant prevailed, bearing this baby, so perfect and purple. I first noticed it on Friday morning.

Baby eggplant
Baby eggplant, eaten On Friday night, Maggie and Heal were among our guests, and they cooed over the infant veggie. Yes, cooed. To be fair, I’d done the same thing when I first saw it. My mouth, too, suddenly formed itself into an “o,” as if I’d seen the silhouette of Eleanor Roosevelt spontaneously appear in the dirt.

“It looks like some kind of alien,” Steve said. But I know, deep down, he thought it was as cute as I did.

By Sunday, however, tragedy had struck. With no witnesses to the carnage, the baby eggplant was evilly snatched away from its mother plant. All that was left was this stem, impotent and empty.

There’s some animal out there. Clearly. This baby eggplant was probably 18 to 24 inches off the ground, too, so it’s probably not a bird. It’s probably something that can sit up on its hind legs.

13 Comments on “Eggplant Disappear-o”

1. #1 steven
    on Jul 18th, 2006 at 8:05 am

Remember the Bug Bunny Opera episode? “Killll the Waaaaaabit!”

on Jul 18th, 2006 at 8:19 am

I love that episode!

3. #3 Nancy
    on Jul 18th, 2006 at 12:56 pm

Oh Genie – I was wondering where some of our 6 groundhogs disappeared to. Must be vacationing in Iowa.

RV

on Jul 18th, 2006 at 5:57 pm

Nancy, great. Just great. Thanks for sending them our way. Wasn’t all our help with the chipmunks enough for you? :-)

5. #5 Carol
    on Jul 18th, 2006 at 8:41 pm

I just hate when stuff like that happens! I have 4 eggplant plants, some flowers, but no eggplants, yet.

6. #6 Nancy
    on Jul 18th, 2006 at 10:08 pm

Chipmunks haven’t been sighted for a few days. Maybe they headed that way too :-}. Actually the fox has made him/her self scarce also. Guess they are scared of plastic bags and bottles. Take Care. Nancy

on Jul 18th, 2006 at 10:39 pm

Carol, hopefully my third eggplant (the one not pulled, but not the one that got chomped) survives. It has one small bud on it that could actually become an eggplant, but we’ll see…

Nancy, that’s pretty funny. Do you have any Diet Coke in the house? That might be why the fox is scarce, as well. :-)

8. #8 Judith
    on Jul 19th, 2006 at 6:45 pm

That’s harsh. Especially since it was the first one, and you had your hopes up. But, at least the critter ate the whole thing. That’s bad enough, but it’s even worse when the pest just takes a bite or two – just enough to ruin it – and then leaves the poor mutilated vegetable there for you to find.

on Jul 19th, 2006 at 11:45 pm

Judith, actually, the nice thing about the eggplants is that they’ve struggled so much to get underway that I have less invested in them. At least as of right now. If someone takes a bite out of a better-grown eggplant, though, I’ll be irritated. Monumentally irritated. :-)

10. #10 Judith
    on Jul 20th, 2006 at 6:38 pm

Drat! When I saw the picture of the one-bite cucumber today, I felt a little like Cassandra! I didn’t mean to be the predictor of unwanted things. My apologies for even introducing the possibility. Oh, dear.

on Jul 22nd, 2006 at 5:56 pm

Judith, no worries — I already had seen the cuke when you posted that other comment, and had a chuckle to myself about it. It’s definitely not your fault!

12. #12 The Inadvertent Gardener
    on Aug 7th, 2006 at 2:28 pm

[...] What I like about the garden, though, is that it’s so very apolitical. The closest it gets to getting out the vote is when the rabbit in our yard decides which vegetable candidate it prefers to eat: cucumber? or eggplant? [...]

13. #13 Pasta arrabbiata with eggplant « The Inadvertent Gardener
    on Nov 10th, 2006 at 5:49 am

[...] I will admit that I’m something of a perfectionist. That compulsiveness drove me to feel intense pressure to come up with a spectacular, nay, splendiferous way to use our entire eggplant harvest. [...]